Blog entries from May 2011:|
- "Yogi Berra 500/600" posted by The Vicar on May 31, 2011 (2 comments)
Another annual grandest day in sport is in the can.
Not a good day to have JR as part of your name.
Although I?m not sure what the definition of a sport ? or an athlete for that matter ? is, for simplicity I?ll include auto racing for the time being. Memorial Day (more precisely, the day before) is always the greatest day in sport, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Kansas" posted by G14 on May 31, 2011 (27 comments)
Carl Edwards - winner
Matt Kenseth .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Charlotte" posted by G14 on May 31, 2011 (7 comments)
Wow, what a terrible week. No one got Harvick to win; which isn?t surprising, given his mediocre results at Charlotte. No contestant got more than one driver in the top five, and I believe the highest amount of points scored this week was six. Yuck.
I welcome new contestants, even if it is getting to be a little late to enter. However, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Stat Rundown: The Coke-Cola 600" posted by Talon64 on May 30, 2011 (0 comments)
Kevin Harvick gets his 17th career Cup win, tying him with Marvin Panch and Curtis Turner for 44th all time. His series-leading 3rd win of 2011 gives him back-to-back 3 win seasons (3rd most wins in that stretch).
Harvick had a 20th place average finish in 20 Charlotte starts previous to this race, and only 1 top 5 (2nd in his first Charlotte .... Read the rest of this blog
- "No Really, Where Exactly Did He Come From?" posted by Riverside on May 30, 2011 (7 comments)
I?ll put my main thought on the table right now: I have never seen a greater weekend of racing in my life.
I?ll skim over the F1, because, let?s face it, it was the least entertaining race of the weekend. Don?t get me wrong, it was an action-packed race, but we were certainly denied the grandstand finish that the Indycar and NASCAR provided.
So .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after CHARLOTTE 1" posted by Riverside on May 30, 2011 (0 comments)
Sprint Cup and Nationwide updated.
My only observation is that Edwards is starting to run away with both championships. No driver has ever won the Sprint Cup and Nationwide championships in the same year (and no-one probably will ever do so now), so can Edwards keep it up? STENHOUSE JR enters the Sprint Cup standings in 48th place (130 points).
New .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Winning Equation at Charlotte" posted by Ol Don on May 29, 2011 (0 comments)
Well... on my last post, I talked a little bit about how I use numbers to predict winners at each track. There's a bit of fancy math and statistical modeling, so, I won't bore you with that spiel again. BUT, I will talk a little bit about the numbers that are important at Charlotte vs. the other tracks.
First, starting position is big. It .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Big Money is Big News" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on May 28, 2011 (1 comment)
There are two very useful forms of promotion through money. One is to pay someone an exorbitant amount of money. The other is to offer to pay an exorbitant amount of money. A recent example of the latter is the twenty million dollar bonus to any driver who wins both the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 in the same weekend. As the odds of anyone .... Read the rest of this blog
- "April Showers Bring...May Showers?" posted by ajcrdstr24 on May 25, 2011 (3 comments)
While many of the major racing series across the country have managed to avoid the recent miserable weather across much of the Eastern half of the United States, it has been a rough start to the 2011 season for many local tracks. Some tracks in the area I live have canceled or postponed at least half of their events for the year so far! It has to .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after CHARLOTTE/IOWA 1" posted by Riverside on May 24, 2011 (0 comments)
Nationwide updated for Charlotte, Truck Series updated for Iowa 1.
New Nationwide entries for McDOWELL in 68th (151 points), HERRING in 71st (132 points), ANGELA COPE in 79th (79 points), MARTINEZ JR in 82nd (70 points), AMBER COPE in 83rd (67 points) and MILLER in 89th (out of 91, 43 points).
New Truck Series entries for RAIKKONEN .... Read the rest of this blog
- "10th Place 2 years after curse" posted by CalZone on May 24, 2011 (1 comment)
This is my first blog here on Racing-reference.info. This blog will be thought-provoking and cutting edge. In this blog, I will analyze many situations in NASCAR past and present. And my first entry is about an odd trend I discovered a couple years ago. 10th position has always been an important position in NASCAR because it is the last spot in the .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Pave Paradise?" posted by The Vicar on May 23, 2011 (0 comments)
Another All-Star Race is in the can.
Let?s hope rumors (i.e. false statements) don?t contribute to the call from some pundits to eliminate grassy areas from race tracks.
I .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Coke 600" posted by G14 on May 23, 2011 (32 comments)
Marcos Ambrose - winner
Tony Stewart .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Dover/All Star Race" posted by G14 on May 23, 2011 (3 comments)
Sorry for the delay. Was busy this past week. Much like in the real world, I won't acknowledge an All Star victory in the win column. Shout out to Toad, ii, Cooper, and Bronco for guessing Carl Edwards to win the Winston. That's an extra five points to your total.
1. Brad - 124 (4)
2. Joey2448 - 122 (3)
3. Josh C - 112 (3)
4. Kevin17 .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Charlotte; All Sizzle, No Steak!" posted by drewh on May 23, 2011 (4 comments)
If you watched anything on SpeedTV during the weeks leading up to the Sprint All Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway it was impossible to avoid the hype. Every commercial break, it seemed, contained a promo for the upcoming broadcast showing wrecks, sparks flying, and fights in the pits.
Then during the three hour pre-race show that was the .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Glory Days of your NASCAR Fanhood" posted by Cooper on May 18, 2011 (27 comments)
2011 has been a great year for NASCAR. Great racing, first time winners and non-stop action has made this year so entertaining for me as a race fan. And while NASCAR ratings haven?t improved greatly, this doesn?t mean that there is something wrong. A lot of people lost their favourite drivers in the last five years. Rusty Wallace, Dale Jarrett, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Rubber Match" posted by The Vicar on May 17, 2011 (1 comment)
Another good race is in the can.
Right now, TNT must be thinking ?What are we, chopped liver??. We know there?s at least one genius at Fox. Never has a network got so much (good) press out of a single minor broadcast moment. Granted, it would have been a major moment if it had been a first. I thought everyone knew that TNT has been using the .... Read the rest of this blog
- "NASCAR: Stat Rundown for the FedEx 400" posted by Talon64 on May 17, 2011 (2 comments)
Those who normally check out the race comments know I usually post these there, but from now on I'll also be putting them up in a blog! So here's the stat rundown for the FedEx 400 Benefitting Autism Speaks:
Matt Kenseth becomes the 35th driver in Cup history to reach the 20 win milestone, getting his 2nd career Dover win. His 11 top 5's there .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after DOVER 1" posted by Riverside on May 17, 2011 (0 comments)
All three series updated.
EDWARDS is now 102 points ahead of Johnson, that's more than half a race win. If he keeps going he could definitely and deservedly wrap up his first Championship. New entries for BLISS in 49th (93 points) and WIMMER in 55th (49 points).
Nationwide and Truck Series bemuse me. EDWARDS and KYLE BUSCH lead respectively, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Not Getting Tyred" posted by Riverside on May 16, 2011 (0 comments)
So the last few races in the Sprint Cup and F1 World Championships have been decided by late race tyre calls. It?s true you need to be on the right tyre at the right time, but it?s always funny that you don?t know the right call until the end of a race.
For Jenson Button in Turkey, three stops just didn?t work. It may have worked if Webber .... Read the rest of this blog
- "All Star Predictions" posted by G14 on May 15, 2011 (30 comments)
I am working on the points right now with limited internet connectivity. Wanted to go ahead and post All Star Predcitions. Remember, we are only predicting the winner, which is 5 bonus points if they win. I will pick Clint Bowyer to win the All Star race. .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Crank It Up More" posted by The Vicar on May 12, 2011 (4 comments)
So Fox got an Emmy for Best Live Event Audio for ?Crank It Up?. Imagine. An award for racing sounds at a race. Isn?t ?Crank It Up? just the volume turned up on the racing sounds and the volume muted on the announcers? I wish I could do that at home. I?d turn on MRN in a heartbeat, but Charlotte, the world center of Stock Car Racing, doesn?t have an .... Read the rest of this blog
- "How to Save the All Star Race" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on May 11, 2011 (16 comments)
An All Star Game is exciting no matter how sloppily played or irrelevant the rules. The league always tries to put its best foot forward and display its star talent, unless that league is NASCAR.
After the Daytona 500 draws 15 million viewers in February on network TV, the All Star race will be lucky to find 2.5 million viewers in May on a .... Read the rest of this blog
- "News from Lake Maxicokonn (Spring)" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on May 11, 2011 (0 comments)
It?s been a quiet week in Lake Maxicokonn, Pennsylvania, my old home town out on the edge of the swamp. April has just ended and there are only two kinds of April in Pennsylvania; one of them is 90 degrees and muggy, the other is a nor?easter. This year we had both. But all good Aprils have one thing in common, and that is Easter.
Easter .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Automobile Row" posted by The Vicar on May 10, 2011 (0 comments)
Another good race is in the can.
Good thing I?m not a gambling man. OK. Good thing I wasn?t watching the race in a gambling environment. With 2 laps to go, I would have bet the ranch against the 78. Nice job, Regan.
So we have resigned ourselves to the fact that Nascar seems satisfied that its sport is quickly becoming a combination .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Busch vs Harvick, Racing Rivals" posted by Gene Haddock on May 10, 2011 (14 comments)
If you've ever played football or basketball you know that you sometimes lined up against opponents who were not as good, or maybe not as smart, as you. And sometimes these opponents would resort to dirty tactics, rough play, or other means as they tried to intimidate you.
The worst thing you can do is to let them get you out of your game, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Dover" posted by G14 on May 9, 2011 (28 comments)
Kasey Kahne - winner
Clint Bowyer .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Darlington" posted by G14 on May 9, 2011 (5 comments)
What a crazy weekend. We all did terrible. The highest score was eight, which several people got. One week after half the contestants got the win, zero people picked Regan Smith to win (come on, someone had to see it coming!). As a matter of fact, no one even picked him to finish in the top 10!
I don?t normally do this, but I have a pick .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after DARLINGTON" posted by Riverside on May 8, 2011 (0 comments)
Sprint Cup and Nationwide updated. For those of you who will ask, Smith made up four places from 30th to 26th with his win, now on 984 points in front of Logano. Considering Logano and Smith are actually 25th and 27th respectively, it gives you an small indication of how close the midfield is. New entry is BELL (49 points) in 53rd (out of 57).
The .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Big 8 at Darlington" posted by Ol Don on May 7, 2011 (2 comments)
For those not familiar with Equation Racing, I'll give you a brief introduction before I dive into what I'm calling The Big 8 at Darlington.
Equation Racing is a system that I built using five years of historical, loop-level data from the Sprint Cup Series (provided by the kind folks at racing-reference!). The system is essentially a statistical .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Bowman Gray Lived Up To Its Name, Richmond - Not As Much" posted by ajcrdstr24 on May 4, 2011 (0 comments)
Bowman Gray Stadium is known as "The Madhouse," and it surely was one on Saturday night. It was amazing how they can pack in so many fans at such a small track all while feeling so close to the action. The fans' reactions to their favorite or least favorite drivers being introduced added to the drama of the event. While some of the racing was a bit .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Juan More Time" posted by The Vicar on May 4, 2011 (4 comments)
Another good race is in the can.
I should have more to say about the actual racing. It was a beautiful Saturday evening of racing in the former Capital. There was a lot of action and some doubt surrounding the outcome. But somehow I really don't.
For the most part, all the players performed well. All of those not included in ?the .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Darlington" posted by G14 on May 2, 2011 (28 comments)
Winner - Carl Edwards
.... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Richmond" posted by G14 on May 2, 2011 (5 comments)
Out of 26 contestants that played, 15 got Kyle Busch to win. Wow. That means many scored a good deal of points this week, but still weren?t able to gain on the top three, as Brad, Joey, and Josh all predicted Kyle to win.
1. Brad ? 112 (4) --
2. Joey2448 ? 106 (3) --
3. Josh C ? 99 (3) .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after RICHMOND 1" posted by Riverside on May 1, 2011 (2 comments)
Sprint Cup and Nationwide updated. Edwards now leads both series, but probably only because Kyle Busch wasn't in this weekend's Nationwide race.
Pos - Driver - Points - Actual
1 - EDWARDS - 1368 - 1st
2 - JOHNSON - 1326 - 2nd
3 - KYLE BUSCH - 1284 - 3rd
4 - HARVICK - 1249 - 5th
5 - EARNHARDT JR - 1218 - 4th
6 - BOWYER .... Read the rest of this blog