Blog entries from June 2010:|
- "My Daytona Picks" posted by martin-n-rusty on June 30, 2010 (4 comments)
I had a very busy past couple of weeks (which included my computer going to pot temporarily), so if you want to see my picks from New Hampshire, the link has em
My Daytona picks...
Starter: Jeff Gordon
Reserve: Jimmie Johnson
Gordon has to win one .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Final Weekend of Classic Daytona" posted by Cooper on June 29, 2010 (7 comments)
Daytona International Speedway is the second most noticeable speedway in the world only behind the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway. For years, Daytona has put on some of the most spectacular races in recent memory. Due to it's high speed and slick pavement, Daytona differs itself from the other Superspeedway Talladega. The hot temperatures make the .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Loudon Clear" posted by The Vicar on June 28, 2010 (7 comments)
Another race is in the can.
What have we learned from Sunday? Well, I can now name one song that Foghat has performed.
Bruton, please, please follow through on your threat to move one of your N. Hampshire races. How about two?
Sure, the last 20 laps or so were about as good as you can ask for, but it?s still a long circuitous .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Money is Saving Professional Sports" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on June 28, 2010 (3 comments)
To take my blog in a bold new direction, this article is a response to The White Flag article, "Money is Ruining Professional Sports" in which Cooper denounces the salaries of athletes and entertainers. I would like to offer a different perspective on the matter. You can read the original blog here:
I .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Daytona" posted by G14 on June 28, 2010 (10 comments)
As I mentioned earlier, I am making my predictions for Daytona this afternoon. Hopefully we have even more participating this week. To see how scoring works, view my blog from last week. If you decide to make predictions, please make sure you mark WINNER by the driver you think will win.
Here is who I think will finish in the top 10 this .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The first one......" posted by The Dark Canuck on June 28, 2010 (0 comments)
This blogging thing may be new to me but racing sure isnt.
Your looking at a guy who has loved racing before I can even remember, one of my earliest memories in life is playing with my little cars in the dirt between the grandstands and the fence at Sunset Speedway just south of my birth city of Barrie, Ontario. In my youth I grew up around .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Legend Cars to race 3 times in TN/VA Mts July 4th weekend" posted by Thunder Legends on June 28, 2010 (0 comments)
Get your fill of racing on the Fourth of July weekend plus the beautiful scenic Smoky Mountains. Thunder Legends Series will race July 2nd at Newport (TN) Speedway at 7:30 PM. Then move up the road to Lonesome Pine (Coeburn VA) Raceway for a double feature race on July 3rd.
The racing on Friday will begin at Newport Speedway, a 4/10 mile .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Loudon" posted by G14 on June 28, 2010 (0 comments)
Great turnout for this weekend. Thanks to all who participated. We had three people correctly guess Johnson to win. Our points leader, Fun Gus, has predicted Johnson the past two races. Anyways here are the standings after two races.
Fun Gus - 20
Smokefan - 11
Myself - 11
Gavo - 10
Seize - 10
Anon - 9 (please pick an .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Boys Are "Havin At It!"" posted by drewh on June 28, 2010 (0 comments)
Before the beginning of the 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup season officials told the drivers to; ?Have at it, boys!? meaning they were no longer going to micro manage driver behavior, either on the track or off. The plan was to let the boys be boys and police their on track actions themselves and maybe provide a little more excitement for the fans. Up to now .... Read the rest of this blog
- "10 Ten Predictions - Loudon JOIN the game!" posted by G14 on June 25, 2010 (10 comments)
Its our second week doing this. Predict who you think will finish in the top 10 (no particular order) and get one point for each driver you get correct. (5 extra points if you get the winner correct).
Here is my predictions for this weeks top ten.
Denny Hamlin (WINNER)
Ryan .... Read the rest of this blog
- "View From the Flagstand: Sonoma" posted by Gene Haddock on June 23, 2010 (0 comments)
Last week I opined that the road courses were today's throwbacks to the old short track days. I mentioned a little rubbing, a little racing, a few tire marks on your door. No big deal. Then Jeff Gordon set me, and about eight drivers, straight when he put everyone on blast.... times ten! I've witnessed entire seasons without as many intentional take .... Read the rest of this blog
- "SHORT TRACK ACTION - CODY JOHNSON WINS LEGENDS @ LPR" posted by Thunder Legends on June 23, 2010 (0 comments)
CODY JOHNSON WINS AT LPR! ! It was an 'all Johnson' front row at Lonesome Pine with Dace qualifying at 18.317 seconds and Cody at 18.534 seconds. The race started with the brothers racing tight and close for first and second. Greg Turner and Taylor Coffman put on a show for the fans with their batlle for 3rd and 4th. Mid-race Dace made contact with .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Could Labonte go to the 83?" posted by G14 on June 22, 2010 (10 comments)
After we witnessed 2000 Cup Champ Bobby Labonte start and park in a few races this year, many fans either called for his retirement or leave TRG Motorsports and find a more competitive ride. Well according to SceneDaily, Labonte is expected to announce on Wednesday he is parting ways with TRG. We all know Red Bull is looking for a driver with Brian .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Brad Keselowski" posted by Cooper on June 22, 2010 (4 comments)
Being a big Brad Keselowski fan, I look forward to every weekend of my life to watch Brad race in both the Nationwide and Cup Series. Theirs no doubt Brad's season in Nationwide is amazing and historic, but his inability to perform on the Cup side continues to worry me every week. While I know he is one of the most talented drivers out their he has .... Read the rest of this blog
- "To Infineon And Beyond!" posted by The Vicar on June 21, 2010 (2 comments)
Another good race is in the can.
Quite entertaining and a bit exciting. Maybe it?s the venue, or just equally as fun as that monkey and football thing.
K. Petty noted that drivers don?t know much about the rules of Nascar. Maybe Nascar isn?t completely up on them either. I got the impression that Mr. Knauss had to advise Nascar of .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Prediction Standings After Sonoma" posted by G14 on June 21, 2010 (0 comments)
Well, I would say the first week was successful. Thanks to those who participated. Its not too late to hop on board either, if you would like to join this weekend. Here are the standings.
Fungus - 11 (good job predicting Johnson to win)
Smokefan - 7 (you got 7 out of the top 10 correct, more than anyone)
Myself - 6
Seize - 5
Josh .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Thanks, Dad" posted by Gene Haddock on June 20, 2010 (1 comment)
I grew up 100 miles east of Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway. Thirty-something years ago it was a rough, flat, half mile hunk of asphalt. The retaining wall was two strips of metal guard rail, and pit wall was an inch and a half diameter steel pipe, painted red and white, about two feet high. There was no garage area. Prep and repairs were done right there .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Hey NASCAR, what about us?" posted by null on June 20, 2010 (4 comments)
Welcome to the first edition of The Outsider. I am relative newcomer to NASCAR, but a long time motor racing fan ? and an Australian. I've been following the V8 Supercars, Formula 1 and various other forms of motorsport for quite some time now, but 5 years ago I had never even heard of NASCAR. A few weeks before the 2005 V8 Supercar championship began, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Cup Preview: Sonoma" posted by Number1NASCARFan on June 18, 2010 (0 comments)
NASCAR's top series heads to the right and left turns of Infineon Raceway this weekend. As the Chase gets closer and closer, many teams will be under the microscope as they try to make it into NASCAR's playoffs. As we head into the first of the two road course races of the year, here's what to look out for.
* Can Denny Hamlin continue his .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Sonoma" posted by G14 on June 18, 2010 (4 comments)
I haven't been blogging lately as I have taken on another job. It really limits my time to share my views with my fellow NASCAR friends. So instead, I am going to do something less time consuming. Each Friday I will post who I think will finish in the top 10 in the upcoming race, including who I think will win. 1 point for each driver I guess correctly, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Presenting Jeremy Clements" posted by NASCARgirl01 on June 18, 2010 (0 comments)
Sixteenth. Nineteenth. Twelfth. Those are solid results for any up and coming driver, especially for one driving for a low budget family owned team. Jeremy Clements hasn?t exactly turned the racing world upside down, but he has quietly marched to top 20 finishes in the last three Nationwide races, garnering attention in doing so. His path to this .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Right Sides Only: Sonoma" posted by Gene Haddock on June 17, 2010 (0 comments)
Are you ready for some slam bang racing this week? It may be a road course instead of a short track. It may be in wine country instead of 'shine country. Hell, it is North California instead of North Carolina, but the road circuits tend to bring out the old school, paint swappin', fender rubbin', donut leaving, hard charging in all the drivers.
Musical .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Thunder Legends at Lonesome Pine (VA) on June 19" posted by Thunder Legends on June 17, 2010 (0 comments)
The Legends Cars will be racing Saturday June 19th at Lonesome Pine Raceway in Coeburn VA. This will be a 25 lap event on this 3/8 mile asphalt Oval. The facilities are great and the pit gate usually opens at noon. Please check the LPR website on Friday for the racing schedule. www.thepineraceway.com All fans and Legends drivers are cordially welcomed.
Also .... Read the rest of this blog
- "My Sonoma Picks" posted by martin-n-rusty on June 17, 2010 (8 comments)
Well, Carl Edwards didn't do too badly, but he didn't do to well either. 68 points from Carl
More of the same. Blah points finishes, though some laps, and a good qualifying run helped some. 74 points from Matt Kenesth, 59 points .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About E.F.I. But" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on June 17, 2010 (1 comment)
Authors note: The complete title of this article was to be "Everything NASCAR Fans wanted to know about Fuel Injection (But Were Afraid to Ask)"; however, I am limited to 60 characters.
Carburetors are fickle things. They deliver fuel to an intake manifold much in the way that a toilet delivers water to (you know). A hinged float will raise .... Read the rest of this blog
- "So Close Yet So Far Away" posted by ajcrdstr24 on June 16, 2010 (0 comments)
The title is the main theme for this blog post, as it pertains to many aspects in the poker and racing world. My first example unfortunately once again is in the poker world. I qualified for a tournament which occurred over the weekend where the top three finishers win prize packages to the Borgata in Atlantic City valued at $2,000 for first and $1,000 .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Get Ready: Danica Mania Will Start Up Again, Or Will It?" posted by Number1NASCARFan on June 16, 2010 (3 comments)
It's the moment that all(well, some) of us have been waiting for! Danica Patrick will return! The hype around her will just be enormous over the next few months, where ESPN will show her more than the leader, winner, or championship battle - and she's only runnning 10 more races.
People would expect this when Danica makes her return to NASCAR .... Read the rest of this blog
- "10 Laps or 10 Races Actually Dull Excitement" posted by Mile501 on June 16, 2010 (7 comments)
Since 2004, we have seen NASCAR steadily do more to attempt to create exciting finishes. First there was the chase, created in an attempt to manufacture an exciting finish to the championship. More recently we have green-white-checkers and late-race cautions which are used in an attempt to create more dramatic race finishes. But are these things actually .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Money is Ruining Professional Sports" posted by Cooper on June 15, 2010 (12 comments)
Many of us as kids, dream about one day to become a professional athlete. Not because of the money or the fame but to be able to do what we love for a living. As the years go by their are less and less number of sport figures that participate in professional sports for the enjoyment rather then the fortune. So why is it that athletes keeps asking for .... Read the rest of this blog
- "View From the Flagstand: Michigan" posted by Gene Haddock on June 15, 2010 (4 comments)
Well Michigan International Speedway certainly lived up to its reputation on Sunday. What a thrilling day of close competition we enjoyed! Hah, just kidding. The 103 degrees worth of Southern swelter must be getting to me. It wasn't the worst race of the year (Hello, Fontana), but it was far from the best, also. A very wise person once said, "The best .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Les Vingt Quatre Heures Du Mans" posted by wood_brothers21 on June 12, 2010 (1 comment)
The 24 Hours of LeMans occurs over this weekend in June 2010, not sure if I've posted this before & stupid me, I can't figure out how to see all my own entries so here is a review of one of my favorite racing tomes.
Ford, Ferrari & their battle for speed and glory at Le Mans.
From the start finish line the Grand Marshall waves the .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Michigan Fantasy Picks" posted by Darth Vadar on June 11, 2010 (0 comments)
Carl Edwards- Edwards has been average to his standards this year and last, but he has been magnificent at MIS. He has scored the most points at MIS the last 3-10 races there. Out of 11 races he has ten top-10s, seven top-5s, and two wins. His average finish is 6.1. He has completed every lap possible since he has started racing there. .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Right Sides Only: Michigan" posted by Gene Haddock on June 11, 2010 (2 comments)
It is so kind of the schedule makers to have Pocono and Michigan run their events back to back. Now we can really get a handle on just which is the most boring race track east of the Mississippi. MIS will have to go way above and beyond their normal zonker to overcome the 30 minutes of racing we witnessed last week in Pocono.
Crips vs Bloods
First .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Harvick v. Logano or JGR v. RCR?" posted by G14 on June 10, 2010 (2 comments)
This week we had Joey Logano (JGR) go after Kevin Harvick (RCR). The week before it was Kyle Busch (JGR) and Jeff Burton (RCR). And before that at Dover, in the Nationwide race, we had Denny Hamlin (JGR) and Clint Bowyer (RCR) go at it. You see the pattern? I love the irony! Of course, in between all that was Busch and Hamlin at the Winston.
Perhaps .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Casey Mearsā?? Roller Coaster Ride" posted by NASCARgirl01 on June 8, 2010 (18 comments)
Casey Mears has got to be the driver with the worst luck in finding and keeping a ride. It isn?t due to lack of talent on his part or anything within his control. It has been said that he got a NASCAR ride due to his name, and that may be true, but that does not cause sponsors to flock to you or inspire loyalty in any owner. Follow me on a walk through .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Joey Logano Did This To Himself" posted by Cooper on June 8, 2010 (19 comments)
I'd like to first say that I'm on Joey Logano's side. I feel bad for the kid. He had a great run going and it got taken away by Kevin Harvick. But Joey is at part fault as well. Joey has had a lot of help to get where he is today and while he is very talented he has proven absolutely nothing when it comes to his fellow competitors.
This is .... Read the rest of this blog
- "My Michigan Picks" posted by martin-n-rusty on June 8, 2010 (6 comments)
Well, this week, I do have some free time, thank god. Maybe that could end up being a bad thing, because I kicked some major ass with the picks this past week...
Talon64, what was that about Kyle Busch being a bad pick, for at least my reserve?!? Not only does he win .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Pennsylvania 6-500" posted by The Vicar on June 7, 2010 (1 comment)
Another good race is in the can.
Geez, I love Pocono. Probably not so much if I had to sit in the stands, but at home with the TV it?s always a pleasure ? even without the chaos of this particular race.
Adam Alexander proved to be the pro that the MRN audience has come to expect ? some TNT technical glitches notwithstanding.
I .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Most Memorable Pocono Races" posted by Darth Vadar on June 6, 2010 (9 comments)
1. 1986 Summer 500- Late in the race, Tim Richmond was spun out coming out of the Tunnel Turn (Turn 2). His car had both front tires flattened and was in a position so that he could not drive it forwards. Richmond backed the car out, then drove it in reverse the nearly 1 mile to his pit. At that point, his crew fixed the car so that he could go forward, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "What to do if it rains?" posted by G14 on June 6, 2010 (3 comments)
Nothing peeves me off more than a race getting postponed to Monday. Well, it looks like it may happen today. So, if you are the average man and have work tomorrow, how do you handle a Monday race? Personally, I DVR the race and take my lunch break at 4 so I can leave an hour early. All of my co-workers know how much I love NASCAR, so I am paranoid .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Pocono Fantasy picks" posted by Darth Vadar on June 4, 2010 (1 comment)
Yahoo fantasy picks
Denny Hamlin- Pocono has been considered "his house" since he since he was a rookie with an average finish of 9.5 in 11 races, including three wins.
Kurt Busch- It's been all or nothing this year with Kurt Busch. He has six finishes of 18th or worse this year and seven finishes of eighth or better .... Read the rest of this blog
- "My Pocono Picks" posted by martin-n-rusty on June 3, 2010 (2 comments)
Since I am short on time, I wont go over the picks, just list them.
Starter: Denny Hamlin
Reserve: Kyle Busch
Starters: Kevin Harvick, David Reutimann
Reserves: Jamie McMurray, Ryan Newman
Starter: A.J. Allmendinger
Reserve: Paul Menard .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Can TNT save NASCAR?" posted by Cooper on June 1, 2010 (38 comments)
As the calender flips from spring to summer, TNT begins it's summer series of racing that stretches from Pocono to Chicago. TNT was classified as the worst broadcaster of NASCAR for many years, but their coverage has vastly improved over the years. Their commercial free coverage of the Coke Zero 400 is always their main event but their normal race coverage .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Greatest Day in Motorsports!" posted by drewh on June 1, 2010 (8 comments)
A friend of mine recently described the Sunday before Memorial Day as the race fan?s equivalent of New Year?s Day for college football fans. This is the Sunday that all race fans look forward to throughout the spring. This is the Sunday when you can watch Formula 1, The Indianapolis 500, and NASCAR?s Coca Cola 600 all in the same day!
The race .... Read the rest of this blog