Blog entries from August 2011:|
- "Sizzlers & Fizzlers After Bristol Night Race" posted by Mik Maq racer83 on August 30, 2011 (1 comment)
1.Brad Keselowski- A serious threat to win it all come November.
2.Jamie McMurray- We saw shades of the 2010 Jamie mac this week.
3.Jeff Gordon - Could we be calling him 5 time champion real soon?
4.Ryan Newman- The rocket man is back his 2002/2003 forum, a darkhorse come chase time.
5.Marcos .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Racing to the Chase " posted by NASCARgirl01 on August 30, 2011 (1 comment)
Sometimes it seems like time takes as long as it wishes, and sometimes it flies by as if it was on track at Talladega. The days in between each race can crawl by, but then I look back and find myself asking 'wasn't the Daytona 500 just yesterday?' Then of course I have to come to the realization that that perfect season opener was six months ago, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "VASCAR Enforced 500" posted by The Vicar on August 30, 2011 (1 comment)
Another good race is in the can.
It could just be this race put the longing for the 'spin him to win' days of Bristol behind us. With a lot of help from abcespndisney's presentation, and some lessons learned by the teams since the track was reconfigured, I believe Bristol is back. A pretty exciting evening.
And can you believe the .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after BRISTOL 2" posted by Riverside on August 30, 2011 (0 comments)
All three series updated.
JOHNSON, EDWARDS & KENSETH all clinch a Chase spot, with J.GORDON close enough to touch the Chase. Meanwhile KESELOWSKI starts to embed himself into a Chase position, at the expense of HAMLIN, with some outstanding results as of late. Mathematically, 24th and down (which includes BURTON, SMITH, McMURRAY, VICKERS and .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Atlanta" posted by G14 on August 29, 2011 (33 comments)
Winner - Tony Stewart
Juan Montoya .... Read the rest of this blog
- "So Bad It's Good" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on August 28, 2011 (1 comment)
Reactions to Brad Keselowski's final pit stop in this year's Bristol night race have given me the impression that most NASCAR fans are totally unaware of how pit road speed is measured. I would love to clear up these misconceptions.
Visual Average Speed Computer and Recorder (VASCAR) is a system used by police departments and NASCAR as a means .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Bristol" posted by G14 on August 28, 2011 (2 comments)
Congrats to Blake and Nico Rosberg Fan for correctly guessing Brad Keselowski to win. However, you both still have some work to do to get into contention for the title.
There is just one item I need to address for this week, and it's a big one. The deadline to make picks for the race is BEFORE THE GREEN FLAG WAVES. I don't know if have .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Ups And Downs" posted by ajcrdstr24 on August 24, 2011 (3 comments)
To say my last several weeks have had their ups and downs is an understatement. Luckily, most things have ended on the upside...mainly on the racing and poker front.
The month of July finished off on a positive note with a beautiful night for some short track racing at the little 1/8 mile Clyde Martin Memorial Speedway in Newmanstown, Pennsylvania. .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top Ten Things I Learned at Michigan International Speedway" posted by Cooper on August 24, 2011 (2 comments)
It's been a long time coming for me, but finally I attended my first NASCAR race. I've been watching for 10 years and to be able to see a race really gave me a new found respect for the sport. But not only was I able to see the racing, I was able to get the whole NASCAR experience. My friends and I stayed at the campgrounds and that was really what .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Pure Mishegoss 400" posted by The Vicar on August 23, 2011 (0 comments)
Another race is in the can.
Well, it's what has been typical Michigan for the last handful of years: pretty good racing and about normal brevity. Once again, Nascar ran a good event. However, my wife did ask 'Why do they still race there twice a year?' There wasn't enough practical time - or reason - to respond to that.
As seems .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after MICHIGAN 2" posted by Riverside on August 23, 2011 (2 comments)
All three series updated.
Under the old points, KYLE BUSCH cements his spot in the chase. I reckon that anybody 20th upwards could maybe make the chase, and that iss a big MAYBE. But there are three races to go, so we will have to see. In the Nationwide, AMBROSE enters the table in joint 80th place.
Pos - Driver - Points .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top Ten Predictions - Bristol" posted by G14 on August 22, 2011 (36 comments)
The big question this week is going to be - Who WON'T pick Kyle Busch? I will put him in the top 5, but will go different with the winner.
Carl Edwards (winner)
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Bobby Labonte .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Michigan" posted by G14 on August 22, 2011 (13 comments)
Interesting week. With Matt Kenseth being the highest finishing Roush Fenway car in 10th place, it hurt a lot of people in the picks. Joey extends his lead over second place, and three people correctly guessed Kyle Busch to win.
1. Joey2448 - 234 (5)
2. JGF - 219 (4)
3. Brad - 216 (4)
4. Bon Gordon - 204 (2)
5. kevin17fan .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Pitfalls of Parity" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on August 19, 2011 (2 comments)
Two cars are having a race. Car A leaves New York for Los Angles traveling 2,500 miles at 100 miles per hour. Car B leaves one-quarter of a second later, traveling the same route at the same speed. Which car will arrive first?
I don't need to tell you that Car A wins by one-quarter of a second; I'm just here to explain why it's bad. When .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Classic Speed Fest and Why You Should Visit Your Local Track" posted by myothercarisanM535i on August 19, 2011 (1 comment)
This past Saturday, I attended one of the best races that I have ever seen.
The venue was Lakeside Park, - formerly Lakeside International Raceway - a 2.4 kilometre long, eight turn racetrack 30km's north of Brisbane. The event was The Lakeside Classic Festival of Touring Cars, the fourth of four events to celebrate 50 years of this historic .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after WATKINS GLEN" posted by Riverside on August 17, 2011 (0 comments)
Sprint Cup and Nationwide updated.
Marcus AMBROSE win at the Glen is a popular one, but he is only in 19th in the old points, so unfortunately its too little too late. Unlike KESELOWSKI who is now in line for a Top 12 Chase spot with his good run of form. KURT BUSCH enters the Nationwide points in joint 77th, on the same points as KENSETH.
SPRINT .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Tasmanian Angel At The Glen" posted by The Vicar on August 16, 2011 (4 comments)
Another good race is in the can.
Wow. And Boris Said what?
Not that long ago Nascar road races were seen as throwaway events by not only many fans, but also many of the competitors. In this age none of the teams can take these races lightly. And actually, The Glen gives some of the usual 'go or go homers' the opportunity to run the .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Turning Things Upside Down" posted by NASCARgirl01 on August 16, 2011 (7 comments)
When you read that title, I'm guessing your first thought was of David Reutimman's car flying out of control across the track at Watkins Glen. Or maybe the image that popped into your head was that of Tony Kanaan's car resting bottom side up on top of a tire barrier at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Either way you looked at it, more things than .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Watkins Glen" posted by G14 on August 16, 2011 (6 comments)
Well, that certainly shook things up. I don't know about you, but it sure is interesting when we have contestants get the winner right. Unfortunately for all the chasers, point leader Joey not only picked Ambrose to win, but scored the most points overall. He now has a decent lead, but there are still plenty of races to go.
1. Joey2448 .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Michigan" posted by G14 on August 16, 2011 (35 comments)
This rain delay is also delaying the updated points. I will try to get them out today, but no promises.
Matt Kenseth (winner)
Kasey Kahne .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Can't We All Just Get Along?" posted by NASCARgirl01 on August 10, 2011 (8 comments)
I'd say NASCAR's 'boys have at it' policy is certainly spicing things up, to the extent that even Jimmie Johnson is getting involved. While it is all well and good when drivers handle their disagreements, the owners are probably wishing it would not happen within their own organizations. But for the rest of us, we get an extra element of excitement .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after POCONO 2" posted by Riverside on August 9, 2011 (3 comments)
All three series updated. Penalties have been put onto HORNADAY JR and KYLE BUSCH for their infractions. We are five races from the chase, and Ive decided to go with the 2010 rules for the chase: the top 12 make it and we will see who wins.
Pos - Name - Points - Actual
1 - EDWARDS - 2964 - 1st
2 - KYLE BUSCH - 2947 - .... Read the rest of this blog
- "(His) Left Foot 400" posted by The Vicar on August 9, 2011 (3 comments)
Another good race is in the can.
It's probably just me, but there are very few tracks where rubber band racing doesn't bother me at all, and Pocono is the only place I remember over the last couple years that I wasn't aware of the size (or lack thereof) of the crowd. Actually, I did notice the sparsity, but only after the restart post red flag. .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Watkins Glen" posted by G14 on August 8, 2011 (43 comments)
I will post my winner later in the week, would like to see who everyone else picks.
.... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Pocono" posted by G14 on August 8, 2011 (0 comments)
1. Joey2448 203 4
2. Brad 196 4
3. JGF 194 3
4. Kevin17fan 190 2
5. T-27 180 2
6. awesomegordonfan 179 3
7. ii 179 2
8. Bon Gordon 179 1
9. forman400b 177 2
10.Roushfan 170 2
11. Josh C 169 3
12. Zedfan 168 1
13. I Seize the Day 167
14. Cooper 165 1
15. Sheamus 160 1
16. .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after INDY" posted by Riverside on August 3, 2011 (5 comments)
All three series updated with six races to go until the chase.
Pos - Driver - Points - Actual
1 - EDWARDS - 2813 - 1st
2 - KYLE BUSCH - 2797 - 5th
3 - JOHNSON - 2749 - 2nd
4 - KENSETH - 2743 - 4th
5 - HARVICK - 2740 - 3rd
6 - KURT BUSCH - 2702 - 6th
7 - J.GORDON - 2627 - 7th
8 - NEWMAN - 2561 - .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Contrived 400" posted by The Vicar on August 2, 2011 (6 comments)
Another race is in the can.
It certainly could have been worse. Not many can be disappointed by Paul Menard's victory. Regardless that his career has been family financed, he has worked hard, stayed out of trouble, always gives an enjoyable interview and has shown decent ability. This week his team put him in position to win, and Paul did an .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Pocono" posted by G14 on August 1, 2011 (35 comments)
Jamie McMurray - winner
Ryan Newman .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Indy" posted by G14 on August 1, 2011 (7 comments)
First off, let me apologize if I motivated any to pick David Reutimann to win yesterday. There is only one driver I get excited about when he wrecks (and when I say wreck, I mean wreck and know he is okay), and it certainly isn't the ole' Aarons Dream Machine. However, I couldn't help but chuckle when he was eliminated after cutting a tire. I should .... Read the rest of this blog